Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Clan of the Cave Bear

The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, #1)The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Forgive me for not liking this book. The subject matter was intriguing (I was an anthropology minor as an undergraduate), but I just could not connect with the main character. The preponderance of asides was kloogy and interrupted the flow of the story. Honestly, my anthropology textbooks were far less boring. The prose seemed too "clean" and florid for the subject matter, as well. I give it a reluctant two stars for the subject matter and some little bit of (largely inaccurate) knowledge one might gain from it. Unfortunately, this fragmented information isn't enough to hold the book together. Nor is the plot. Nor are the characters. "Clan of the Cave Bear" falls apart like a poorly-excavated fossil.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment