Friday, March 15, 2013

T. Ott's Tales of Error

T. Ott's Tales of ErrorT. Ott's Tales of Error by Thomas Ott
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Maybe I went about this all backwards. I read Ott's phenomenal Cinema Panopticum first, then his lesser, but still worthy Dead End, and, finally, Tales of Error. To be fair, this is Ott's first graphic novel, and I'm reading it last of the three graphic novels of his that I've read. So this backward chronological crawl has been a disappointment. It's easy to see Ott's progression as a storyteller over time. I suppose I was operating under the mistaken notion that an author's/artist's first work is oftentimes his best. Well, forget that theory. Of the six vignettes contained in Tales of Error, I felt the first, "Honeymoon," and the third, "Clean Up," were decent. Not great, but decent. The others . . . mmm, not so much. The whole volume seemed like a more stylized pastiche of Robert Crumb mingled with the old Creepy comic book. My least favorite of Ott's work so far, but not enough to stop me from wanting to read The Number 73304-23-4153-6-96-8.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment