Friday, March 4, 2016

Gary's Table

This is the guy who started it all, or at least pushed his creative vision into the public eye and provided the impetus that brought us all together. I owe most of my best friendships to this man, a man that I, unfortunately, never met. I admit a touch of sadness on this, the 8th anniversary of his passing, mingled with the joy of being amongst friends, doing that thing, which we love most. As I'm looking out on the snow-covered, sun-drenched hills on the eastern fringe of Lake Geneva, I see, in my mind's eye, a pack of furry gnolls descending down a hillside trail, a bulette burrowing a dirt-stained ridge in the snow, a ki'rin flying in the distant sky, and harpies among the branches. In reality, it is still Winter, the time of death and cold. But the sun _is_ shining. Spring is coming. I look behind with a twinge of sadness, but I look forward full of hope. Am I too sentimental? Probably. I shouldn't have to use the excuse of the sun being in my eyes to explain their watering. After all, it's just a game, right?

But really . . .?

Thanks, friends.

Rest in Peace, Gary.

And back to the table!



No comments:

Post a Comment